If you install unfinished flooring in your house or want to rejuvenate the old flooring after it has been sanded you will then have to make a decision on how to finish it: you will have to either oil it or lacquer it. Both of these options have their advantages and disadvantages:
On the positive side
- The main advantage of lacquered floors against oiled ones is that they demand almost no maintenance/ after care. Once you have lacquered floors, they are there for good with the least amount of care necessary, having in mind that you eliminated sharp edges to avoid scratching.
- You should think of having floors lacquered by yourselves on site only if you are left with a nuclear option.
- Lacquered floors, when scratched, are difficult to correct unlike the oiled ones (if seriously scratched, i.e. because of children, etc., the whole room most likely will have to be re-lacquered, not only the patch which was scratched, and this already will be on site lacquering – a tough job to do). If you re-lacquer the scratched patch only, then most likely this patch will be visible against the light as a separate coat versus the old coat of lacquer.
- Lacquered floors tend to get yellowish in colour with the years from sun-ray exposure. Please use UV protected lacquer to avoid floor turning yellowish.
- Lacquered surface gives a feeling to your feet as if the wood is under a sheet of glass, although this is a matter of taste as other customers prefer this shiny/ solid, seriously steel-like surface.
What do we suggest
- We do not advise you to do the lacquering by yourselves on-site with the pre-finished floor already installed because lacquering requires substantial experience, equipment, attention to detail and scientific precision. Amateurs be warned not to succumb to temptation to satisfy your curiosity!
- If lacquering is for you, then make sure that:
- You visit anybody’s house with lacquered floors and feel it. By the way, lacquered floors may also be in colour!
- Your flooring was already lacquered in the factory on a specialised industrial lacquering line or
- Tell the floor shop to lacquer the pre-finished floor planks at their workshop, hence, assume responsibility for the end product or
- Call in the professionals to do on-site lacquering. This will at least save you money on pills from a headache, in case you decided to lacquer it on your own.